Improvement of diagnosis and treatment
A healthy brain and mind are key to a high-quality life. Unfortunately, not everyone has a healthy brain or mind. Therefore, treatment may be required. However, not all people with specific brain disorders may require the same treatment and the effectiveness of treatment may also vary from person to person.
By focusing on the mechanisms underlying brain disorders and their progression rather than on specific diagnoses or syndromes, it is possible to design and implement innovative and more effective interventions for each individual patient.
To develop optimal treatments:
- Collaboration between fundamental, preclinical, and clinical researchers within the UMCG is promoted, both nationally and internationally.
- State-of-the-art facilities and techniques are available, such as the 3 Tesla MRI scanner, PET scanner, EEG scanner, TMS equipment, and data analysis facilities provided by the UMCG Cognitive Neuroscience Center, brain-on-a-chip technology, and near-infrared spectroscopy.
- Access is provided to multiple patient cohorts and the Lifelines cohort.
- Excellent relationships with our stakeholders have been built.
By focusing on the mechanisms that lead to brain disorders and their progression, rather than on the specific diagnoses or syndromes, we will be able to design and implement innovative and more effective interventions for each individual patient.
To develop optimal treatments,
- we stimulate collaboration between our fundamental, pre-clinical and clinical researchers within the UMCG, nationally and internationally;
- we harbour state-of-the-art facilities and techniques, like our Cognitive Neuroscience Center (with 3 Tesla MR-scanner, PET, EEG, TMS equipment and data analysis facilities), ‘brain-on-a-chip’ technology and near-infrared spectroscopy;
- we have access to multiple patient cohorts and the Lifelines cohort;
- we are connected to our stakeholders.